Monday, July 8, 2013

First day of teaching is done

We have completed the first day of class here. I had 8 people today, although I think the official count will be 6. That is a good group since it allows for good interaction as a whole group as well as in 2 small groups.

Here I am teaching:

If you had seen me leave on Friday, you'd note that my wardrobe was distinctly similar ... I taught in the same shirt and blue jeans I traveled in! Thankfully my suitcase arrived today ... we had to drive to the airport to get it, but our host very kindly took us there.

I am encouraged by the class. The students are enthusiastic, and their English is quite good. My hope and prayer is that the class will be very practical for their own churches and teaching situations.

Today, among other things, we talked about what we mean by "spiritual maturity": what it is, and how we might measure it. On the one hand, it seems very dangerous and problematic to measure something like this, but on the other hand, we must try since we entrust leadership of our kids and our small groups and our churches to people. If we give people responsibility for such significant things, we have to find a way to decide who should be trusted with such things (as Paul teaches regarding elders and deacons).

At the same time, we have to be careful not to develop criteria that would make the Pharisees look like the best people in the church! It is not easy, but it is very important.

On the living side, being here is actually quite relaxed. We are staying in a nice hotel. Here is the lobby:
The food has been great (and plenty of it), I haven't gotten too wet from the rain, and the sleeping has been good as well. It is strange feeling so relaxed and comfortable in a place that's been in the news so much.

So, one day down. I look forward to the interactions with students, to the experiences in this city, and for the fellowship with my fellow instructor. Thank you for praying.

No comments:

Post a Comment